Easter eggs

Subject: Easter eggs
From: William Swallow <WSWALLOW -at- commsoft -dot- net>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 10:37:57 -0400

<<<Barbara is asking about possible repercussions from being recognized for
her efforts in an Easter egg>>>

Barbara,

The reason why your programmers aren't consulting the powers that be is
because Easter eggs are A SECRET. If they went around telling people what
they were and how to find them, there'd be no point in them. And as far as
any trouble it might cause, if the egg isn't hostile toward anyone
(especially the company developing the product) then there's no harm in it.

As far as I know, no one has ever been seriously reprimanded for either
their name appearing in an egg or for creating an egg unless the subject was
extremely offensive or disruptive. I've found some in the products I
document... even some of the developers didn't know they existed... it's all
in good fun.

Bill Swallow
Technical Writer
Aptis Software Corporation
a subsidiary of Billing Concepts
phone: 518.433.7698
fax: 518.433.7680
<mailto:william -dot- swallow -at- aptissoftware -dot- com>
<http://www.aptissoftware.com>