Re: Programmer/Writer?

Subject: Re: Programmer/Writer?
From: techwrtr -at- crl -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 10:09:50 -0700 (PDT)

--- Anthony Markatos <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com> wrote:

> I have noticed an increase in job listings for combination
> Programmer/(Technical) Writers. As I understand it (please correct me if I
> am wrong), these individuals write end user documentation directly off of
> code.

Well, I haven't read the posts that you're speaking of, but I've been hoping to
find a programmer/writer position, myself. *My* understanding is that these
positions are offered by startups who don't have enough of a product to warrant
a full-time writer, and want the writer to use slack time to work on the
application, itself.

I'd see such a position as a great way to make positive change for the user.
How often are writers' UI suggestions blown off because the suggestions are
from a "mere writer." You'd have a lot more leverage if you were one of the
programmers, too! Heck, if it was a simple thing (so many UI tweaks are...such
as the issue of the wrong terms being used, as mentioned in an earlier post
today), I could tell them I'd just go do it myself! :-)

-David Castro
techwrtr -at- crl -dot- com
thetechwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com