RE: Level 1, Level 2, Level 9 billion

Subject: RE: Level 1, Level 2, Level 9 billion
From: John -dot- Sheridan-Smith -at- bmwfin -dot- com
To: taltom -at- simplywritten -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 13:47:56 +0100

I'm bored to death with thinking about processes but I thought I would share
my experience of the role of methodolgy in large sophisticated companies.

I worked as part of a large team of writers on a huge software project. I
was always hearing that a development methodolgy was being applied to the
project but never saw any sign of it being applied to documentation, which
was fine by me - I just got on an did some jolly good work.

After the project had been going for about 3 years and was 6 months over
deadline and way beyond any hope of ever breaking even, let alone making a
profit, meetings of developement managers were still being held to "finalise
the development methodolgy". The cost of one of these meetings would have
paid my salary for 2 years.

The project folded losing the company a fortune and my work went in the bin.
Damned fine stuff this process/methodology/.. wake me up when it's time to
go home...