RE: Numbering Steps for Multiple Paths

Subject: RE: Numbering Steps for Multiple Paths
From: "David Chinell" <dchinell -at- msn -dot- com>
To: "'David Cramer'" <dacramer -at- videon -dot- wave -dot- ca>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 10:52:02 -0400

David:

While I tend to agree with the proponents of the
unnumbered single step, I just wanted to say that
I admired your calm, collected persistence. I also
think you have a good point about arguing from
one's personal experience rather than from
abstract theory. After all, whether or not our
writing works depends on the EXPERIENCE of the
reader.

For what it's worth, I rely on a combination of
components to form the perceptual unit that my
reader's see as procedural instructions. That is,
I use a step heading and one or more steps. That
seems to lighten the burden on step numbering.

Here's a faked-out monopitch approximation...

To reduce computer errors:
--------------------------

1. Position your index finger over the
Reset button.