Re: Independent Editors - What do they do?

Subject: Re: Independent Editors - What do they do?
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 09:25:25 PDT

Tony Markatos asked:

I recently reviewed the STC independent contractor salary survey. It says that the most typical task performed by independents is editing. Who is going to pay big bucks ($40 - 50 dollars/hour or more)to do administrative assistant work? (That is who typically edits my work.)

Am I missing something: a more sophisticated service that editors provide?

Jean Hollis Weber responded:

Yes, Tony, you're missing something. Please check my Web site for lots of info on what Real Technical Editors do.

Tony Markatos asks:

I reviewed your web site with great interest. In it, you say that editors determine the suitability of material for the target audience in terms of organization, usability, word use, completeness, correctness, comprehensiveness, etc.

Jean, none of the editors that I know or have read about perform an end user task analysis. They spend very little time on-site with the end user (or subject matter expert). Often, practically none. So how do the learn about their target audience? And how do they gain an understanding of the essential tasks that the end user performs? Both of these are required to do the things that you mention.

Thanks,

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)