Re: Independent Editors - What do they do?

Subject: Re: Independent Editors - What do they do?
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: Anthony Markatos <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 15:11:55 -0400

Tony,

There are all kinds of editors. Look at the masthead of, say, Time or
Newsweek, for example, or a scholarly journal. A copyeditor who
proofreads your work and checks your punctuation is not doing the work
of a senior editor who sets the direction and tone of a series of books;
selects and negotiates with authors; manages a staff of assistant
editors, researchers, and production editors; takes overall
responsibility for delivering a product on time that is accurate,
complete, well-designed and produced, and free of material that exposes
the company's management to ridicule or legal liability.

Hope this clarifies,

Dick