Re: Technical Writers or Information Developers?

Subject: Re: Technical Writers or Information Developers?
From: edunn -at- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: Dan Caldwell <DCaldwell -at- gohighspeed -dot- com>, TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 11:10:36 -0400

Hmm. Part of the horrible trend towards administrative assistants, sanitation
engineers, and store associates. People seem to think the title elevates the job
status I suppose. Personnally I don't view any of the preceding any different
than secretaries, janitors, and store clerks.
I'll use what ever title the company gives me (right now: technical writer and
trainer). There was quite an exhaustive thread on the various titles used and
accepted in our field. Check the archives. Technical communicators is probably
the best (IMO) if you want to be inclusive of all the various facets of the
proffession are represented on the list and in the STC.
I would have a problem with "information developer" however. To me, this does
not describe what we are supposed to be doing. We present, organise, and filter
information but we certainly do not create or develop it.
JMO,
Eric L. Dunn