re: transitive verbs (was Do alarms always sound?)

Subject: re: transitive verbs (was Do alarms always sound?)
From: infinity <infinity -at- yourhead -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 08:56:07 +0000

So, I quickly recalled what a transitive verb is after nice reminder
(whose name I have at home, so I can't thank properly right now).

And I must admit that sometimes I have a difficult time deciding what
is and is not "on topic" or pertinent to this list. So if the following
is not "on topic" or pertinent to this list, please just let me know
(nicely!).

But, I have one other point of clarification that I wanted to email
in. That is... in the example that was given:

You can configure an alarm to trigger.

The verb isn't trigger, rather it is configure. "To trigger" (I think)
would be a prepositional phrase. Yes? So is that particular construction
gramatically incorrect? And if so, is it for a different reason?

For my sake, in the end, I believe I chose something like

You can configure the software to trigger an alarm.

Which I believe is gramatically ok. I was just hoping for one more
leetle piece of clarification.

Christi Carew