RE: Multiple checkouts with FrameMaker?

Subject: RE: Multiple checkouts with FrameMaker?
From: Darren Barefoot <dbarefoot -at- mpsbc -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, "'ltarwater -at- yahoo -dot- com'" <ltarwater -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 17:00:27 -0700

Hi,

We have a very similar system in place for our Development office. It's sort
of no-frills, but SourceSafe has proved reliable and (as the name kind of
implies) has saved our butts more than once. I can only answer your first
question: No, you if each chapter is a file, there is no way via SourceSafe
to have two people modifying it simultaneously. In fact, I suspect this is
the case regardless of what (if any) document control mechanisms you use.
It's prudent and fairly standard to have one person
at a time working a file.

As for the graphics, we got around that one by not storing them in
SourceSafe, but on the server (which is also backed up). We did so to save
time on the checking in, checking out process. That way, regardless of who
has a file checked out, the graphics retain their links because their
location never changes.

I can't really suggest any other alternatives, though it sounds like you
might want to chunk out your book into more, smaller files. Therefore, it
would be less likely that the same people would need the same file at the
same time. Thanks. DB.