How do users use help?

Subject: How do users use help?
From: Darren Barefoot <dbarefoot -at- mpsbc -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 17:42:43 -0700

Good afternoon,

My trip to the archives came up blank, so, here's my question: Does anyone
have any decent research on how users are likely to use help? That is, do
they prefer the Table of Contents, Index or Search (or Find) tab? I
appreciate that the results may differ slightly based on the kind of
information (for example, conceptual as opposed to procedural) they're
looking for, but I'm sure there are some general trends. Any information
would be appreciated.

I, for one, use the Search tab almost exclusively. Thanks. DB.