RE: do alarms always sound?

Subject: RE: do alarms always sound?
From: Scott Havens <SHavens -at- Elcotel -dot- com>
To: Christi Carew <infinity -at- yourhead -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 11:49:20 -0400

I agree that "go off" is not the best wording in the world. I also agree
with your SME that alarms can take many forms, not all of them audible. One
alternative would be to use the verb "trigger." (In view of last week's
discussions, I looked it up and found that it is "officially" recognized as
a verb. :)

How about,

"You can configure the software to trigger an alarm when a metric
fails."
"A metric failure can be made to trigger an alarm."
"Depending on your configuration settings, a metric failure triggers
an alarm."

..or something like that?

Good luck!

SRH
Tampa Bay, FL (Where we've dodged yet another tropical storm... Darn, when
are we going to get some excitement around here?)