Re: do alarms always sound?

Subject: Re: do alarms always sound?
From: "Mark Baker" <mbaker -at- omnimark -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 11:24:44 -0400

Christi Carew wrote

>"You can configure an alarm to go off when a metric fails."
>
>I didn't like the "go off" verb, so I changed it to sound. He then pointed
>out that it might not be an audible alarm. The alarm could be a light that
>lights up, or some other nonaudible indicator.

I don't have any problem with alarms that go off. That's good old
Anglo-Saxon. But I do have a problem with the idea that a "metric fails".

If the alarm goes off when some limit is reached or exceeded, then I would
have to say that, if anything, the metric succeeded. If measurement had
failed, the alarm would not have gone off.

---
Mark Baker
Senior Technical Communicator
OmniMark Technologies Corporation