Using call-out boxes in Word?

Subject: Using call-out boxes in Word?
From: "Geoff Hart" <Geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 15:27:40 -0400

Karen Field wonders <<Has anyone figured out a good way
to use callouts in Word 97? If use the Drawing/autoshapes/
callouts command, they block out the graphic and do all
kinds of strange stuff. So I thought, "Fine. I'll do a text box
and add a line and group it all." That's just as ineffective.>>

Using Word to create graphics is like using a screwdriver to
hammer nails: with sufficient patience and dexterity it can be
done, but why put yourself through the grief? Invest in a
proper drawing or paint program: you'll be far more efficient
at creating the graphics, you'll actually be able to use the
graphics reliably in other applications (such as on the Web or
exporting the files to Frame), and you'll be able to reduce the
frequency of chanting your <<mantra:
IhateWordIhateWordIhateWordIhateWordIhateWord.>>
Works for me!

--Geoff Hart @8^{)} geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca (Pointe-Claire, Quebec)
"Perhaps there is something deep and profound behind all those sevens, something just calling out for us to discover it. But I
suspect
that it is only a pernicious, Pythagorean coincidence." George Miller, "The Magical Number Seven" (1956)