Summary of creating .gifs

Subject: Summary of creating .gifs
From: BBEGIN -at- aol -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 15:14:47 EDT

Thanks for all your help! I summarized what worked for me, and the response
of 23 people on RoboList and Techwr-r. That's working together!

'What worked for me. This is for novices, as I used to be:
1. I copied my drawing from Word to Paint.
2. Resized the drawing frame to what I needed.
3. Saved as 24-bit .bmp format.
4. Downloaded Irfan32 (see below).
5. Opened Irfan32.
6. Saved the .bmp to .jpg.
7. Inserted into RoboHelp HTML 7.0.

Summary of suggestions
PaintShop Pro is the favorite. It's recommended by: foremangraphics -at- juno -dot- com
(Jacque Foreman), phillipw -at- asg -dot- com (Phillip Wilkerson), JBrady -at- alldata -dot- net
(Brady, Joy), hsmith -at- wt -dot- net (Horace Smith), Kathi -dot- Knill -at- TEMPLATE -dot- COM (Kathi
Jan Knill), bjf -at- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM (Beth Friedman), Gswearingen -at- sisware -dot- com (Greg
Swearingen), vwhitehorne -at- cgn -dot- net (Vicki Whitehorne), fvlamoen -at- goodlink -dot- nl
(Frank Lamoen), Wolfem -at- bcbsil -dot- com (Michelle Wolfe),

Popular conversion tools
*) Irfan32. Use this URL: http://stud1.tuwien.ac.at/~e9227474/.
MRiese4711 -at- aol -dot- com (Michael Riese)
*) ThumbsPlus at www.tucows.com. wtreisz -at- raque -dot- com (Wesley T. Reisz)
*) Windows paint allows you to save as .jpg if you have the file extension
recognition Accessory. pnaumann -at- idirect -dot- com (Pam Nauman)
*) FullShot at www.inbit.com. lmor -at- sbt -dot- com (Larry Morrow), tonia -at- computac -dot- com
(Tonia Murray). FYI it comes free only with RoboHelp Office.
*) Ulead PhotoImpact at www.ulead.com. kimmelman -at- appliant -dot- com (Lee Kimmelman)
*) Image Composer with Front Page. hflannery -at- bstconsultants -dot- com (Flannery,
Holly)
*) ReSize in RoboHelp IF you have the full office version. Philip Branum,
support -at- blue-sky -dot- com, and lori -dot- wierenga -at- us -dot- landisstaefa -dot- com (Wierenga Lori),
*) MS PhotoEditor in MSOffice. lhamilton -at- metasolv -dot- com (Hamilton, Lisa)

Quotes from other folks:
*) I have used Gif Construction Set to make animated graphics:
ftp://ftp.mindworkshop.com/pub/alchemy/gifcon32.exe. shawnaburkey -at- yahoo -dot- com
(Shawna Burkey)
*) Any graphics program such as Corel Draw, HiJaak, PhotoDex, etc. should
work. If they are imbedded, and the application permits, save it as HTML,
then the program makes gif01, gif02, etc. hsmith -at- wt -dot- net (Horace Smith)
*) I like PNG better than JPEG, as it's lossless. The PNG site
<http://www.cdrom.com/pub/png/> carries a gif2png tool that does a good job;
I just used it to clean up my personal website. sevanina -at- hitel -dot- com (Steven
Evanina)

Beth Lisberg
BEGINNINGS