Re: Future Technical Writer

Subject: Re: Future Technical Writer
From: Dan Brinegar <vr2link -at- VR2LINK -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 16:28:31 -0700

At 2:56 PM -0400 8/27/99, Tom Johnson wrote:
>.... Are there others who would
>feel honored to have a child follow in their footsteps as technical
writers?

Welll, I've probably told this story two or three (hundred) times already...

The stuff I learned from my dad, kinda thru osmosis, helped me out quite a
bit during my time in military commo... that oddball military career of
mine set me up with enough experience of weird and inscrutable technology
to dive right into the 'Net and techwriting at the right place at the right
time.

When the opportunity came along for me to take my first position as a
genuine technical communicator, I was lucky enough to have dad as
Grand-Exalted-Poohbah on the project: for the first time in our lives we
were both on the same side -- it was an extraordinary experience...

He's very generously kept me alive over the last several months while I've
been trying to get my back fixed... and I just got home from a pretty good
interview... I dunno if I've accomplished enough to be worthy of paternal
pride or not, but I owe alot of my accomplishments to the foundation I got
from him (and most of my income for the next year or so ;-)... People at
conferences have told me what a visionary he is, and that's *really* cool.

I can only hope that I can live up to *that* legacy, seeing as how I've
been a subversive lout for so long now ;-D

Regards,
dan'l

Dan Brinegar Information Developer/Research Droid

"Leveraging Institutional Memory through Contextual
Digital Asymptotic Approximations of Application Processes
suited to utilization by Information-Constrained,
Self-Actualizing Non-Technologists."

vr2link "at" vr2link.com CCDB Vr2Link
http://www.vr2link.com Performance S u p p o r t Svcs.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=