Suggestions for user manual with alternate versions

Subject: Suggestions for user manual with alternate versions
From: Terry Barron <tbarron -at- SYSTEMS -dot- DHL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 11:40:05 -0700

I searched the archives, but found few topics related to my question.

Is there a graceful way to document different versions of software in
the same user manual?

The software documentation I work on turned a corner in a recent
release. In essence, there are now two versions of the software
available in this one release. The system administrator chooses which
version gets implemented by setting system parameters.

Though both versions use many of the same screens and processes, many
other screens and procedures are different.

The general format of the manual breaks each major area of activity (a
menu selection) into three sections:

an overview
screens shots, followed by field definitions that explain the data for
each field
step-by-step procedures

Maintaining two separate versions of the manual seems like the most
straight forward way to address this, but it also strikes me as
time-consuming and difficult to maintain.

Including alternate instructions side-by-side in the same manual seems
more efficient, but possibly confusing to the reader.

I like to hear your comments, and I woude appreciate any advice you
may offer.

--
Terry Barron
DHL Systems, Inc.