Re: User Documentation Preferences [WAS: Frame & WWP vs Word & RoboHelp]

Subject: Re: User Documentation Preferences [WAS: Frame & WWP vs Word & RoboHelp]
From: Denise Fritch <dfritch -at- INTELLICORP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 08:58:34 -0700

> Linda Sims wrote:
> Do users really prefer to have on-line help files as their ONLY
> source of application/program documentation?

No, users don't want only online help files. At least that is what a survey,
sponsored by marketing and consulting departments here, determined a year
ago. Installation and general "how do we begin" publications were wanted by
users.

Unfortunately, senior management has decided to maintain the "status quo"
and continue to provide only online help. At least for the time being. Two
weeks ago, during a meeting about new products, I asked what format user
information would be provided for new products. The senior manager present
stated the new products would be so easy to use there would be no need for
any user information.

Best,

Denise L. Fritch

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=