Re: Need opinions - Work from home/security issues.

Subject: Re: Need opinions - Work from home/security issues.
From: melonie -dot- holliman -at- AMD -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 10:51:14 -0500

Howdy,

For the most part, I agree. This is a great sign that
a company has no consideration for their employees.
However, Austin is growing at such an incredible rate
that I have seen companies who literally have NO place
to grow to. I worked in one company who had leased
a new building and had to wait months before they
could move in. During those months we were 4 to a
cube (couldn't move your chair without hitting the guy
behind you) and the company let us telecommute
some. I interviewed at another company who was
waiting for their new building to be built. In the interim,
it was 2-3 to an office built for one.

If I were in that situation again, I would ask why we
were having to share. Are they having trouble finding
new space? Are they waiting on a new building site?
What is the deal? If it is an interim situation that the
company is trying to remedy, (given that I am happy
there) I would stay and suffer through it. If the company
does not want to rent more space because of cost,
I would get out just as fast as I can. Almost every
company cares about the bottom line more than the
employees, however, that shows a blatant disregard
for an employees welfare and it will show up in other
ways as well. It also shows bad business sense,
because employees will be less productive in those
situations.

About convincing them to telecommute, the only way
is to bug them until they let you then PROVE it works.
Well, you can threaten to leave also. Search the
archives for justifications, but if they don't want to hear,
only threats which you are willing to carry out might work.
Melonie R. Holliman
Technical Writer
CG MarCom
Advanced Micro Devices