Need opinions - Work from home/security issues.

Subject: Need opinions - Work from home/security issues.
From: sbuttice -at- TRANSPORT -dot- BOMBARDIER -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 10:48:00 -0400

Good morning everyone, I need some help and hope some of you can give me
your
thoughts and ideas.

I work for a large corporation in the transport industry. The company is
growing
rapidly and running out of suitable work space. Management has asked us to
make
space in our (already crammed) cubicles for the possible addition of one or
two
employees (per cubicle). Management has also considered asking us to rotate
between day and evening shifts. Needless to say, many of us are not happy
about
this and consider the idea unacceptable.

We have suggested the following solution:

Two TWs share one computer. One will work from home three days and be at the
office the last two, while the other does the opposite. The following week,
they
switch places; the person who was home three days and at the office two days
will now spend three days at the office and two days at home. This way
everyone
is at the office at least two days a week and be "visible".

Our supervisors are sort of o.k. with this idea but HR is not. HR is worried
about security, we deal with billion dollar contracts and they are always
afraid
of information being leaked. I'm too polite to say what I think of this
excuse,
we believe the real reason is a Big Brother issue. They want to see us here,
at
the office, no matter what.

I need to accumulate ideas that will help me argue my point, it may not
change
overnight, but at least I'll have planted a seed.

If anyone out there has ever been faced with a similar situation and WON
please
let me know how you did it. Of course, all other ideas are also welcome.

Anyone interested in a summary of responses is encouraged to contact me
directly.

TIA,

Sam Buttice
Technical Writer