End-user Survey over the Internet

Subject: End-user Survey over the Internet
From: jktan -at- CTLSG -dot- CREAF -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 15:00:35 +0800

Hi, everybody,

I have a question about designing end-user surveys and conducting them over
the Internet.

My colleague and I are doing this for the first time. However, we have quite
different opinion on how the survey should be done. The objectives are
basically to:
1. To get feedback from our customers on how satisfied they are with our
product documentation. If not, specifically, which areas.
2. To gauge the standard of our end-user documentation.
3. To zoom into any interesting/problem areas and find out more facts.

We would like to avoid getting responses:
1. From end-users who have not bought any of our products.
2. That could potentially be lop-sided, e.g., mostly users who have
something negative to feedback.
3. From end-users who may take part merely to get some freebies, and so,
didn't give much thought in the feedback.

I would like to learn from you how you design such surveys and how you
conduct them over the Internet.

For example, do you ask the users to write down more details only when they
have something negative to write about? Do you offer lucky draw prizes or
freebies to attract people to take part in the survey? Or do you leave it to
the
chance
web visitors to fill in the survey?

Thanks n' Regards,