Re: Part-Time Technical Writing

Subject: Re: Part-Time Technical Writing
From: "Higgins, Lisa" <LHiggins -at- CARRIERACCESS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 13:46:00 -0600

Let me just second, third, and/or fourth the "don't try this at home"
admonitions. I know you weren't asking about these, but it can be very
difficult to work at home unless you are very very clear about your
boundaries. Not only do you have to find other arrangements for your
children, but you need to let your friends, family, and neighbors know that
you are not available to fix their computers, make dinner arrangements, run
errands, watch their kids, etc.

I think you may run into some reticence about part-time writing simply
because of the ramp-up time, the training, the stylistic subtleties, and so
forth, involved in hiring and retaining a tech writer. It would be ideal if
you could get your company to go for it, but if that isn't likely, you may
want to look into freelance (possibly regularly recurring projects like
newsletters) or contract work through an agency if you can get hired to the
bench.

Lisa.

BTW, I have a similar request. My son is a teenager, and I'm looking for a
company that won't make me go home ever. I should probably make it clear
that I'm really stupid and I listen to dorky music and dress funny.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=