Writing Sales Bids

Subject: Writing Sales Bids
From: "Klopfenstein, Ed (AFS)" <edk -at- ACCU-FAB -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 10:04:15 -0700

Hey folks, need your advice:

My new boss pulled me aside today and asked (assertively) if my department
would start writing the company's sales bids. These are moderately complex,
semi-legal documents that outline a project and state our price and
commitment; rewrites of engineer and sales notes, basically. These are
definitely easier than our normal fair of documenting robots and C++ code,
so I'm looking at 3 to 4 days each. The problem is that we're way
overworked, and I fear that venturing into bid writing will water down the
skillset my group is trying to build (C++, HTML, VB, FrameMaker, etc.).

I don't need political advice; I'll handle my boss. What I need is "impact"
advice to help chart my course from people who have dealt with bid writing.

If I assign current staff to this chore, what kind of influence does it have
on a TW career? How does the general market see this? And, should I expect
resignations?

If I hire someone for this work, what kind of pay rates should I expect to
pay?

Thanks in advance for the advice. It's much needed.

Ed

Ed Klopfenstein
Senior Technical Writer
Accu-Fab Systems, Inc.