Re: grammar term

Subject: Re: grammar term
From: Nancy Smith <smithcds -at- ICI -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 15:46:46 -0400

Hi,

I'd rather say we shouldn't use any pronouns and
then let one or two slip in, than to say "fine" to
pronouns! Too often only the writer and some others
directly on the project have a clear understanding
of the reference. The rest of us just guess and
wonder. In fact, sometimes a writer has been known
to use a pronoun because the writer him/herself
doesn't even know what noun to use! I've done that
on rare occasions -- probably received the
information that way and I'm either tired or under a
tight deadline -- and someone invariably comes to me
and asks what I mean -- and I don't have a clue!

Nancy

Communication issues
Murrell, Thomas
> Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 1999 2:03 PM
> To: TECHWR-L -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu
> Subject: Re: grammar term
>

> To be REALLY technical, the "this" in the examples
below is
> an unreferenced
> pronoun, which I would agree should be a no-no in
technical
> (and I hope all)
> written communications.
>
> I really hope that Nancy didn't mean that we
should not use
> any pronouns in
> tech writing. Other than that nit, I agree with
Nancy completely
> Tom Murrell
> Senior Grammar Freak, Alliance Data Systems, Inc.
> CAD4A - (614)729-4364
> Fax: (614)729-4499

but
> > using "this" as an adjective followed by a noun
is
> > fine.
> >
> > Sorry, but we grammar-freaks find it hard to
stop
> > with one simple answer...!
> >
> > Nancy

mail
> > reader does
> > > not understand
> > > this format, some or all of this message may
not
> > be legible.
> > >
> > > ------_=_NextPart_001_01BEE8C5.2F2A7920
> > >
> > > of course I dont have either my strunk&white
or my
> > Harbrace
> > > when I need
> > > them.
> > >
> > > what's the term that refers to "this" in the
> > following sentences:
> > > This is one of the product's features.
> > > This is why he's still living in a 5th-floor
> > walkup.
> > > This is why you always add an extra pinch of
> > garlic power to
> > > chicken soup.
> > >
> > > TIA for the help!
> > >
> > > Dan Roberts
> > > droberts -at- isogon -dot- com
> > >

> > > ------_=_NextPart_001_01BEE8C5.2F2A7920
> > >
> > > <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML
3.2//EN">
> > > <HTML>
> > > <HEAD>
> > > <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type"
> > CONTENT="text/html;
> > > charset=iso-8859-1">
> > > <META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange
Server
> > version
> > > 5.5.2448.0">
> > > <TITLE>grammar term</TITLE>
> > > </HEAD>
> > > <BODY>
> > >
> > > <P><FONT SIZE=2>of course I dont have either
my
> > > strunk&amp;white or my Harbrace when I need
them.
> > </FONT>
> > > </P>
> > >
> > > <P><FONT SIZE=2>what's the term that refers to
> > > &quot;this&quot; in the following
> > sentences:</FONT>
> > > <BR><FONT SIZE=2>This is one of the product's
> > features.</FONT>
> > > <BR><FONT SIZE=2>This is why he's still living
in

==========
> ============
> > =
> > If it's not about technical communication,
don't post it!
> > Send commands to listserv -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu
(e.g.,
> SIGNOFF TECHWR-L)
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/archives.htm
> > Review the TECHWR-L Web site at
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/
> > Send all list-related questions or problems to

==========
> If it's not about technical communication,
don't post it!
> Send commands to listserv -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu
(e.g., SIGNOFF
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/archives.htm
> Review the TECHWR-L Web site at
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/
> Send all list-related questions or problems to

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=