Re: grammar term

Subject: Re: grammar term
From: Nancy Smith <smithcds -at- ICI -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 14:02:20 -0400

As used in your examples, "this" is a pronoun.
Using such a pronoun is a no-no in tech writing, but
using "this" as an adjective followed by a noun is
fine.

Sorry, but we grammar-freaks find it hard to stop
with one simple answer...!

Nancy

Communication issues
Dan Roberts
> Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 1999 11:29 AM
> To: TECHWR-L -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu
> Subject: grammar term
>

> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail
reader does
> not understand
> this format, some or all of this message may not
be legible.

> ------_=_NextPart_001_01BEE8C5.2F2A7920
>
> of course I dont have either my strunk&white or my
Harbrace
> when I need
> them.
>
> what's the term that refers to "this" in the
following sentences:
> This is one of the product's features.
> This is why he's still living in a 5th-floor
walkup.
> This is why you always add an extra pinch of
garlic power to
> chicken soup.
>
> TIA for the help!
>
> Dan Roberts
> droberts -at- isogon -dot- com
>

> ------_=_NextPart_001_01BEE8C5.2F2A7920
>
> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">
> <HTML>
> <HEAD>
> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type"
CONTENT="text/html;
> charset=iso-8859-1">
> <META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server
version
> 5.5.2448.0">
> <TITLE>grammar term</TITLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=2>of course I dont have either my
> strunk&amp;white or my Harbrace when I need them.
</FONT>
> </P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=2>what's the term that refers to
> &quot;this&quot; in the following
sentences:</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=2>This is one of the product's
features.</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=2>This is why he's still living in
a 5th-floor
> walkup.</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=2>This is why you always add an
extra pinch of

> If it's not about technical communication,
don't post it!
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/archives.htm
> Review the TECHWR-L Web site at
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/
> Send all list-related questions or problems to

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=