Re: Marketing block

Subject: Re: Marketing block
From: RAHEL A BAILIE <rbailie -at- NEWBRIDGE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 12:26:15 -0700

This isn't even a new phenomenon. In a store, the only signs people pay
attention
to are the hand-written ones stuck near the cash register, thinking the
signs
posted some X years ago, possibly when the shop opened, are probably no
longer
policy (for example "no cheques accepted" and have become part of the
"wallpaper."
But if someone sticks a note next to the cash that says the same thing, you
can be
pretty confident they won't take your cheque. It is a form of scanning
information
and relegating the visual equivalent of white noise to the edges. (I can
read an
entire newspaper and not notice one ad, much to my colleagues' amusement.)

It is interesting to notice how quickly we've synthesized on-line
information and
begun processing it like the other media around us and that advertisers use
the
same marketing principles that we ignore around us, and learn to apply those
principles to documentation where truly important information bits need to
stand
out.

Rahel Bailie
Vancouver, BC

Christine Pellar-Kosbar wrote:

> Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon: on web pages, and now even on
signs,
> I find myself disregarding anything too flashy as an "ad." I don't even
read
> it. Sometimes it turns out to be important information.
>
> Do others do this? Are we desensitizing people with flashy marketing
> materials? Or am I just getting old?

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=