Final Definition of List Server

Subject: Final Definition of List Server
From: Bev Lockhart <bl -at- SEATTLELAB -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 17:47:45 -0700

Thanks for everybody's input. (I have quite a collection of awesome links
to dictionaries and computer definitions now, too.) This is what I finally
ended up with:

Seattle Lab List Server is an email list server that handles unlimited
mailing lists and distributes new messages, newsletters, or other postings
from list members to the entire list's subscribers. Postings can be
delivered as they are received or digested and delivered on a scheduled
basis.

A list server should not be confused with an email server, such as SLmail,
which handles incoming and outgoing email for Internet and intranet users.

Seattle Lab List Server offers rock-solid performance while providing you
with the ability to automatically deliver email to your subscribers or
customers. Our highly customizable List Server makes it fast and easy for
you to send out newsletters and announcements, even maintain discussion
lists.

Seattle Lab List Server has secure remote administration that can be done
by email, which prevents spoofing of administration addresses. The lists
are actually created through Seattle Lab's Web-based Remote Administration
feature, which means you don't have to physically be sitting at the
computer that the List Server is installed on in order to create a new
mailing list.

Seattle Lab List Server allows subscribers to set options on their
subscriptions, such as receiving digested versions of postings. A digest
includes all postings made during a set period of time, although with
Seattle Lab List Server you can choose to disseminate the digest when it
reaches a maximum size, instead.

Seattle Lab List Server can be set up for moderated lists, which means that
all postings to the list must be approved by a moderator prior to being
disseminated to other list members.

Mailing lists have become a popular way for Internet users to keep up with
topics they are interested in. And, many companies are now using them as a
way to keep in touch with customers (otherwise known as "spamming").

um, the last part of the last sentence is a joke, just to see if you are
paying attention!

I'll be on vacation next week, so you all will just have to continue on
without me... just as you did before I joined this awesome list!

~~~~~ Bev Lockhart, Documentation Editor for Seattle Lab

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=