Re: Recommended software for breaking into technical writing

Subject: Re: Recommended software for breaking into technical writing
From: "Caroline Briggs (Pachaud) (Exchange)" <carolinp -at- EXCHANGE -dot- MICROSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 10:15:14 -0700

Watching this thread with interest. I think that were I to start a job
search today, I'd ask a number of questions of an interviewer designed to
elicit info about precisely these issues. I'd ask what the existing process
is, when in the process the doc project kicks in, who the doc team reports
to, etc. In my world, we're members of the product team, we're fully
participating members of the design process, and our schedules are built
concurrently with dev and test, so there isn't quite the feeling that we're
an afterthought. I will say, however, that it took us a while to get there.
I'm currently working on a new product, which also keeps tedium to a bare
minimum.

One other thought: the type of industry you choose to work in might also
make a difference. I have friends at another large local company who work in
a much more vertical, much more traditional industrial climate. They have a
lot less input into product design and process, and are more likely to make
some of the complaints that Bev makes.

Caroline

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=