Re: Callouts on photos

Subject: Re: Callouts on photos
From: Scott Havens <SHavens -at- ELCOTEL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 13:52:45 -0400

Chris,

What has worked best for me is this. I make my callout lines out of two
separate lines, one a narrow black line and the other a slightly wider white
one. You just put the black one on top of the white one and group them
together. Then you can size, move, rotate, etc., as needed to fit the
situation. (This, of course, is basically what we did in "the good old
days" when the photos were waxed down to the mechanical sheet and special
black-white callout lines were stuck on top of them... I guess I'm showing
my age, but it does make the callouts stand out very well against the
varying shades of the photo.)

To do this on line, I'd recommend something like CorelDRAW! or Adobe
Illustrator. Paintshop Pro might let you do it, but it tends to be a pain
in PhotoShop.

I hope this helps.

SRH

> We're posting some operations documentation to an intranet and we want
> to include photos with callouts on them. Has anyone done this? If so,
> how did you get around the issue of the call-out lines get lost in the
> dark background? Did you just change colors in the callout line?
>
> Also, is this something you can do a decent job on with something like
> PaintShop Pro or PhotoEditor, or do you need something like PhotoShop?

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=