Re: career development advice

Subject: Re: career development advice
From: Anne Halsey <Wrdfinesse -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 21:51:23 EDT

Corinne asks about managing the demands of a writer
with the demands of a new manager (paraphrased, of course):

This is a hard one. The best advice I have to offer is ... decide
which way you want your career to go, and prioritize
accordingly. If you're doin' the manager-gig as a favor and
don't think that's what you want to do, learn enough to do
an adequate job and focus on building your TWer skills.
If, on the other hand, management is for you and you wanna
bag the TW-gig, start to delegate the writing tasks and focus
on the management and administrative side.

In nearly two decades of doing the TW-gig, I've known a sum
total of three individuals who were able to balance both
management and TWing. But all three sacrificed their
personal lives ... broken marriages/relationships.

Evaluate your own goals and personal needs, and make the
appropriate decision.

HTH,

Anne Halsey
wrdfinesse -at- aol -dot- com