Re: communication with programmers

Subject: Re: communication with programmers
From: Melissa Morgan <mmorgan -at- INTREPID -dot- CDG-HARGRAY -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 14:10:42 -0500

I've experienced the same exhausting process. You
finally figure out what the screen/function is supposed
to do, only to find out the following week that they
decided last week to dump that function but just did
not have time to refresh the database. AAAAGGGHH!

I actually think this is a problem with many software
development companies, and until they finally recognize
the tech writing department as an integral part of the
development team, this will probably continue to be a
pain in the neck.

One thing you might want to check is whether they
have a "work order" (at least that's what we call it)
system. This is a dedicated system where programmers
enter comments, problem logs, change notifications, etc.
Ours is set up in Lotus Notes. Maybe your company
has a similar system. If so, you could try to get access
to the system so you can keep up-to-date on the status
of the software you see on your screen (Has it been
refreshed lately?, What changes are coming?).

However, fair warning here, they might give you a tough
time about getting access. I'm going through this process
right now. What I gather from my SME friends is that if
they give me access, they might also have to give me
clearance to post problem logs myself. Then you get
into the issue of what is a real functionality problem,
and what is an enhancement, and do they want a "lowly
tech writer" making judgments about their darling program.
They tend to get a little touchy about criticism, especially
from someone who is not a programmer.

Anyway, I'd see if your company has such a system,
and if they give you flack about getting access, maybe
just try for "read only" type securities. Hope this helps!

Melissa Morgan
mmorgan -at- intrepid -dot- cdg-hargray -dot- com

"There was a power outage at a department store yesterday.
Twenty people were trapped on the escalators." ----Steven Wright

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=