communication with programmers

Subject: communication with programmers
From: Archie Ziviello <aziviello -at- NESL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 14:15:45 -0400

Here's my beef and how I want to solve it. Let me know how you would handle
it.

I'm documenting a VAST mainframe system under development. The real call
for my services is at the user end, not in the computer control rooms.

I can not develop user guides fast enough. In fact, now I waste no time
with it. It seems during implementation we have significant amounts of
interface design change which determines exactly how the user is supported
in the job. The design of the system is essentially the same except now we
have a new screen which is "doing it all in one shot." Therefore I can
provide NO USER GUIDE when the system is turned on because I can not change
156 pages of reference guide into 25 pages of user guide with a wave of my
hands. I tried it and it stinks! - the user guide stinks and the effort to
produce it stinks.

So, I want to get more from the programmers. As is the case, a system
feature can be off-system in a PC mainframe development program for days
before I see it in the mainframe's test environment -- time lost. Second,
in the test system, the feature may be in any stage of development. (i.e.
installed in test to try it out) Since I work exclusively off the
mainframe, I see F-keys pop up like worms after a spring rain. I can
explain a complex, in field method to support a feature one day and the next
WHAM! we've an F-key for it and the method has changed.

What kinds of project management are YOU involved with? How do you manage
your effort when there is no clear expectation of you other than "to write
the manual."

I do a fair amount of trouble finding and bug shooting because I spend hours
trying to write out procedures with little to no explaination of the screen.
I spend enormous amounts of time trying to shoot holes in tasks. I call
this "defeating" controls - you know crediting account invoices more than
what the invoice was for.

I think I'm rambling now, but this has been bugging me for some time. What
suggestions can I make to the management to give me something constructive
to pursue? You understand that I could be constructive if I have a product
to write about, but if I do not keep pace with the digital snow storm, I
could very well be lost when everything is done. Does / would a GOOD
manager realize this or do I have to have a presentation on why week to week
I'm being hamstrung in my effort?

Archie

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=