Re: Editing PDFs

Subject: Re: Editing PDFs
From: Frederique Courard-Hauri <fch -at- FCHCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 17:03:06 -0400

See my comments interspersed

Melissa Morgan wrote:

> Frederique Courard-Hauri asks:
>
> >I may have already mentioned this along another conversation line, but
> >couldn't you just distill those pages (or sections) which have changes?
> Then
> >you could use the Replace Pages feature to stick them in where they
> belong.
>
> It's been a long day, and perhaps I'm not thinking
> straight, but what if the change comes in the last
> part of a page, and is just big enough to throw off
> the flow of the next 3 pages. Wouldn't that mess
> up the numbering in the PDF file when the changed
> pages are inserted?

Yes, in that case, and in a doc which has continuous numbering throughout,
my
suggestion won't work. But if each chapter is numbered x-1, x-2, etc.,
you'd
just have to redistill that chapter, and the TOC, and the index, if you have
one.

> When you create a PDF, it pulls the page numbers
> as they appear on the printed page. If you insert text
> that causes another page to be added, those page
> numbers within the file are not changed without
> re-distilling, are they? I mean, the PDF viewer would
> then say there are more pages, but the actual page
> numbers within the PDF will not change, right?
> If I'm wrong, could someone then tell me how you
> would go about inserting and adjusting autonumbers
> in the PDF?

That's why you would want to replace pages, rather than insert pages. Or you
could extract pages, then insert the new ones.
--
Frederique Courard-Hauri FCH Communications
fch -at- fchcomm -dot- com http://www.fchcomm.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=