Re: Seeking employment advice

Subject: Re: Seeking employment advice
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 11:50:45 -0400

Hallo:

If a candidate's resume represented them as really unique in a way that
would make them a great hire, I would do a preliminary over-the-phone
interview (my dime) and ask for samples to be sent . . . an exception to my
don't send samples without being there rule and with the understanding that
they be returned and not misused.

If all went well with that, I'd recommend my company fly the candidate in
for a weekend and an interview. I'd spend some time with them while they
were in town.

If that went well I'd recommend the company pay the moving expenses. I'd
assist with visas for a wife and kids and dog . . . (naturalization, which
is the process of becoming an American citizen, is up to the candidate).

However (expecting that, were ya?), I cannot imagine how a candidate could
be so special that I could not find someone as good, or close to it,
in-country. Perhaps this'd only apply to a pubs manager position, even then
I am pressed to think why someone would be so unique? (I can only think of a
company paying to relocate, to another division or location, someone they
already employ and who has particular knowledge and skills.) Of course, I've
had that job and the companies I worked for would not have flown me in. <g>

In short, I'd invest $15k for a $65+k per year position to get the right
person. I just don't expect to have to . . ..

All the best,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

P.S. No. My current company has no openings and no relocation. Besides, now
I can only recommend. <vbg>

It seems like the fact that I live
>>>overseas is a

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=