[no subject]

From: Howard Billington <hb -at- PENCIL -dot- U-NET -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 15:00:34 +0100

Hi Jill,

I know one of my old tutors is a member of the STC and that they have a UK
chapter.

I know, it kind of sounds like the Hell's Angels (hey - no offence to
either!) but I think there are distinct differences that any paid up member
of either organisation will be happy to point out

;?)

Right now I'm in the process of the joining the ISTC who, if you've not
heard of them, are the Institute of Scientific and Technical Communicators.
So far they all seem like nice people and, more importantly competent
professionals whose major interest is promoting the profession and the
skills it demands, although I've yet to meet many in person. Not
exclusively UK but it is the foucs of the membership and, thus, ISTC
activities.

They're based in the UK and you can contact them via e-mail at
mailto:istc -at- istc -dot- org -dot- uk

I'm uncertain where the data protection act stands on giving out their
postal address or 'phone number - certainly in the techwr-l list - but if
you or anyone else interested would like to get in touch with me via e-mail
we can take it from there. I'd send out my 'phone number but I'm sure 4000+
(with the emphasis on the plus I think) writers worldwide would consider it
irrelevant...

howard

Jillian Flanagan-McAvoy wrote:

> Brian Martin wrote:
> ..<snip>
>> JOIN STC now. VOLUNTEER for a committee or something. GET to know
>> people in the industry. LEARN what they are doing. LISTEN to what they
>> ..say. THIS is the&nbsp; most successful technique I know and in
conjunction
>> with all the the suggestions has always worked for me. People who know
>> and LIKE you are more likely to give you a chance.<snip>
>
> Is the STC as important in the UK? Is the STC as influential over here?
>
> Jillian Flanagan-McAvoy
> Technical Writer
> Broadway Incentives
> Trafford Wharf Road, Manchester
> England

Howard Billington, BA Technical Communication
--
mailto:hb -at- pencil -dot- u-net -dot- com
http://www.pencil.u-net.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=