RE documenting GUI designs for programmers

Subject: RE documenting GUI designs for programmers
From: Bill Smith <cybersmith -at- ZIANET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 09:11:16 -0600

Hi Alison. I can't point you toward a resource (like a book) or a template
that describes this process. However, I wrote a manual in which I used the
following technique which may be of use.

This method will involve 3 applications: create the screen in Visual Basic,
import the image into Visio, then after you add callouts, import that new
image into your desktop publishing app.

I captured the screen and imported it into Visio. I your case, you would
create the screen in Visual Basic, then save it as an image, then import it
into Visio. Then I used the Visio stencil "General-Annotation Symbols". I
used the Circle Callout shape. You can put a number in the circle, then
cross-reference the same number in the text. This will work for sequential
steps as well as just a list of features. There are other callouts you could
use for writing the whole description, but then you'd probably have to make
the screenprint too small. I used the numbers, then referenced them in text
above.

I then saved the Visio drawing as an .rtf file. You can import it into Word
or FrameMaker.

Good luck,
Bill

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=