period after number

Subject: period after number
From: Bill Smith <cybersmith -at- ZIANET -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 10:12:15 -0600

I think I have an answer for you, Melissa, reg. Microsoft uses a period
after the number if the number is black (or isn't in some way distinguished
from the rest of the text), as in the example on the page you referenced.
However, they seem to prefer to make the number more distinct, in which case
they don't put a period. If you look at their manual on Microsoft Office, in
the few cases where they use numbers, they use colored numbers and no
period. I think this is their point--if you make the numbers distinct, don't
use a period--though they should have had an illustration.

I agree with what Mike said. Unless your company has adopted the MS Manual
of Style as a standard, you don't have to accept Microsoft as an absolute
authority on everything. Matters of grammar are more absolute (although
sometimes they get into subtle interpretation), but matters of style are
not.

Bill

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=