Re: Estimating a Project - A real lulu

Subject: Re: Estimating a Project - A real lulu
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 15:49:51 -0400

Hallo:

If youwork eight, twelve-hour days, I'd expect you can get it done, even in
Word. However, there is no time for questions, no real time to recapture
bitmaps, and no time for a review of the work, preliminary or otherwise.

Also, by "get it to the printer," what do you mean? Are you providing
camera-ready copy for offset press or a PS print file? Bear in mind that the
Word doc you produce on your system may change a little on another system
with a different printer . . . meaning pagination and page breaks might be
off. Also, in my experience printing services schedule their jobs reasonably
in advance, meaning that I wouldn't expect a any printing company to take
your job on one-week's notice, especially Word output and especially since
an exact page count cannot be given.

Hey . . . why not do it in FrameMaker, provide the client RTF output and a
PS file for the printer? If they are only going to use the printed output,
why do they care on the format used for creation? You could even slap
together a PDF for online distribution, for a nominal fee, of course.

Anyway, 8, 12-hour days, using only the copy provided, no questions, no
reviews no review copies, yes. It can be done. Make sure you charge
accordingly.

All the best,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com