Re: ADMIN: More on upcoming list changes

Subject: Re: ADMIN: More on upcoming list changes
From: Michael Collier <mcollier -at- ARLUT -dot- UTEXAS -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 17:11:54 -0500

Sella Rush (sellar -at- apptechsys -dot- com) said:

(much snipped)

> Because, see, it's not about money. It's
> about power.)

I don't mean to take Sella's comment out of context but it does make me
think how a fee based list can potentially change things.

No, the few dollars per year or per month doesn't seem like a lot at first
glance, but when you pay for something you become a customer, as opposed to
the situation now where we are all beneficiaries. Customers always demand
value for their money and all of sudden begin to want to exercise rights and
powers they didn't have or think about previously.

Those who pay, or pay more, may try in subtle or not so subtle ways to
control the content or administration of the list. A corporation pulls out
sponsorhip because of somebody's comment on a job post. Angry subscribers
band together demanding refunds because two spaces after a period has come
up ten times too often. Or people just change their minds, say the list is
not for them, request refunds or just don't renew.

Maybe there will be a no-refund policy, but still expenses are ongoing, not
just a one-shot thing. So fundraising will be an ongoing activity.

>From what I currently know, the fee-based list sounds like it will create
more overhead and potential unknowns. I would strongly suggest thinking
seriously about how a fee-based solution changes the context we interact in
before proceeding. There was at least one earlier post on experiences with
fee-based lists, and I think more information on these (preferably from a
list manager point of view) should be provided for those who don't know much
about them, myself included. Otherwise I have to agree with Sella that it's
probably better to try the free service first.

Michael Collier Phone: 512-835-3408
Information Systems Laboratory FAX: 512-490-4254
ARL Office: AX207
University of Texas at Austin email: mcollier -at- arlut -dot- utexas -dot- edu

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=