Re: What constitutes a senior tech writer and how to get

Subject: Re: What constitutes a senior tech writer and how to get
From: Michael Schiesl <Mpschiesl -at- RA -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 08:29:28 -0500

I disagree with the point of a manager being a lofty, inconsiderate space
creature [my interpretation] who should not be personally involved with your
growth. I firmly believe that a manager, supervisor, or any person charged
with
the responsibility of others should actually take responsibility of their
workers and foster their growth. God has made me the manager of four
children,
and if I offer no support, assistance, or concern (all of which I could do
better on), then how can I expect them to grow and become responsible young
adults (or how can I give them a 'bad rating' when I don't take any
responsibility for helping them out).

My manager started out as a great role model for me. He taught me to be
assertive [I was terribly shy], plan, arrange things, take care of business,
interact with people, and become a manager myself. Having a manager who
cares
about you gives you confidence to make tough decisions, freedom to take care
of
business, and motivation to do your best. If I didn't have any mentor, and
was
'up to myself' as others would claim, I would have zeros in these areas.

My boss would create opportunities and situations that would stretch me,
educate
me, and get me involved. (Lately, my interests and growth have been the
furthest thing from his mind, and I am currently seeking a new opportunity.)

This doesn't mean that you have no responsibility, but you do your part to
grow,
and the manager should do his part to create opportunities.

I could write for miles on this (since I'm dealing with this personally).

Take care Junior,

Michael Schiesl
Rockwell Automation Product Documentation

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=