OT: problem printing PDF

Subject: OT: problem printing PDF
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 09:28:29 -0400

Hallo:

Please forgive the OT intrusion . . . I have another documentation emergency
that affects one of *my* docs, for once <g>. Please post any replies
directly to me at sean -at- quodata -dot- com -dot-

I have been working with FrameMaker and PDF and Acrobat for
years. This one is new to me.

I have a PDF created from a Frame book. When sent to a
PostScript printer, the printer will not print a particular
page. The problem page prints fine from a PCL 5, PCL 5e, and
PCL6 printer (HP 5P and HP5000, which was tested with 2
drivers). When printed to a PostScript Level 2 printer, the
page fails to print at all (Xerox DCS 230, HP 4Si, and a
clonescript HP 5000).

The page in question has a unique graphic. The graphic was
created by printing a form to a PS print file, using the
latest PS driver and Distiller PPD in WinNT 4 SP3. I
distilled the PS printfile to make a PDF. I imported the PDF
into FrameMaker. Later, I created a PDF from the FrameMaker
book, thus creating a PDF of a PDF for this particular page.

Software is Distiller 3.01, FrameMaker 5.5.6, Acrobat reader
(to print the PDF) version 4. All printer drivers are the
latest. OS is WinNT 4.0 SP3 and Win98 SR-1. All PCs have
plenty of RAM and HD space. The printers also have a goodly
amount of RAM, besides, the file prints to a lowly
under-RAMed HP 5P and prints PCL to the HP5000.

Is there a known issue with printing a PDF of a PDF to
PostScript printers?

Also, is there an email address at Adobe where I can receive
support and/or get the problem file looked at . . . seems
like a bug and my support options are gone?

BTW, the page looks fine in Acrobat Reader and the WebWorks
rasterizer printer driver created a perfectly good GIF from
the image for use in a online help file.

Thanks for the help.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=