Re: Software Localization

Subject: Re: Software Localization
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- ILE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 15:01:02 -0600

Pierre writes:

> I would like to know which Software Localization to buy. Our software
> will
> be translated in 6 languages and our programmers are sick of manually
> extracting the texts from their resource files.

I'm not clear what the issue is. Do they want the translators to have a tool
to view the native RC files? Could the programmers develop a tool to extract
and merge the text strings automatically (which is what a lot of
localization companies do)?

> I am looking for a software that will manage partial translation. I mean
> that even though our software is still in alpha (80% complete), I want to
> have the existing interface translated and when everything will be done, I
> will only have to have the remainder of the interface translated and not
> the
> whole shebang.

You might take a look at Corel Catalyst. It allows pretranslation of
existing translation assets and allows translators to resize dialogs.It has
a few quirks, but it's relatively easy to use. I understand that I can
integrate with some existing translation memory (TM) environments like
Trados Workbench. **Perhaps my colleague Kevin F. can reply to this.** The
other possibility is to have the translators work in the same development
environment. Lots of options; it just depends on your specific needs.

Of course, if the task is too frustrating, they can always contact a
localization vendor (like International Communications) to do it for them.
:-)

Bill Burns
Senior Technical Writer/Technology Consultant
International Communications Design & Development
billdb -at- ile -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=