Help files from existing manuals

Subject: Help files from existing manuals
From: Mary Joan Deutschbein <moongold -at- FRONTIERNET -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 10:33:04 -0400

Hello,

I am an independent writer in Rochester, NY. I usually write user guides for
custom software and imaging machines. I apologize if these topics have been
covered already. I searched the archives and got some great information, but
I couldn't find answers to these specific questions.

I am beginning to dabble in creating help files from Word documents. (I know
the limitations of Word, but until very recently my clients have wanted
their users to be able to use Word to access electronic versions.) What is
the most efficient way to do this? I think my clients are now moving away
from hard copy to on-line documentation. What is the best way to provide an
on-line document that can also serve as a printed manual, and is easily
converted to on-line help? What do you suggest for development tools?

Although I am a trained programmer, the part of my work that I really enjoy
is writing for the user. I am concerned that my job will get further and
further removed from the user's needs. How do you balance writing with the
technical knowledge required to produce on-line documentation?

I have a client who wants their user guide and help files to come from the
same source (to make updates more efficient.) He wants me to use Help &
Manual, but the user guide has already been written. Is there a way to
import a document into Help & Manual? From what I can determine you have to
develop the manual/help files in Help & Manual from scratch.

Any resources, references, etc. are greatly appreciated. If you write me
off-line, I'll be happy to compile a summary and send it to the list.

Thanks in advance,

Mary Joan Deutschbein

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=