Thanks and summary: Allyn & Bacon books (long)

Subject: Thanks and summary: Allyn & Bacon books (long)
From: "Ternes, Andreas" <A -dot- Ternes -at- SPS-PRESSEN -dot- DE>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 13:42:30 +0200

I want to thank all the listmembers who answered my question about books
from the Allyn & Bacon technical communication series on the list and
directly to me.

Here is what I received:

I was surprised to see that someone else was checking into the Allyn & Bacon
books. The only one that I am familiar with is by MacNeely..."Empirical
Research in Writing". Dr. MacNeely is a professor at the University of
Memphis, and I had the good fortune to take one of her courses, in which we
used the book. One of the editors from Allyn & Bacon came to an STC meeting
in Memphis, TN. He spoke about the line of technical writing books while
there. It seems that the publisher is deeply interested in producing quality
texts concerning the profession. You might want to look through one or more
of them to see if they are what you are looking for.

Andreas, all four of the books you single out are great. I've had the most
experience with Carolyn Rude's editing textbook, which I believe is the most
popular text for tech editing courses in North America. The book's strong
enough in information to use also as a reference. The companion Web site
(www.abacon.com/rude) provides downloadable assignment sheets.
BTW, the STC journal _Technical Communication_ has reviewed most of Allyn &
Bacon's tech communication titles. You might check out our reviewers'
comments for more insight into what the books offer. Here's when we've
reviewed the four books you mentioned:
Writing Software Documentation: A Task Oriented Approach: May 1998
Designing Visual Language: Strategies for Technical Communication: August
1998
Technical Writing Style: August 1998
Technical Editing: May 1998

I have all four of the books in the Allyn and Bacon series. The editing
book by Carolyn Rude (be sure it's the 2nd edition) is a must have for
editing reference. The user documents book is written in a dual style -
meaning it is divided for beginners and those of us who have done this
before. Once you get
used to how the book flows it can be useful. The design book is also useful
in helping you format layouts, especially when you think you've run out of
ideas.
The style book gives a great overview as well.
As far as new information, they do not actually provide anything I would
consider a revelation, but I have found them very helpful in pointing me in
the right direction.

Although I haven't read all four of these books yet, I've read extensive
reviews of all of them in the STC journal,
_Technical Communication_. The reviews are quite favorable, and my own
opinion, based on the titles I've read so far,
indicates that the reviews are accurate.
The books are notable for precisely the right balance of theory, research,
and practical advice. The authors and the
series editor are noted academics in our field who write admirably clear
prose and have their fingers on the pulse of
what's happening in industry. Although meant as texts for advanced
undergraduate and graduate courses in technical
communication, they provide a great way to fill in gaps in knowledge and to
keep up with trends in the field.
The subjects of the four available titles (writing software documentation,
style, visual communication, and editing) are
also very well chosen. Together, the books provide an overview of
significant elements of what we do.
Based on the two volumes I've read and what I've been able to learn about
the rest, I think this series is excellent.

It's odd that you mentioned these books from the Allyn & Bacon series. Back
when I was in college (University of Central Florida), I was actually taught
by the author of Technical Writing Style (Dr. Dan Jones). Back then, he was
still working on completing the book, and I actually did some work on the
instructor's guide that accompanies that book for classroom settings.
Bias aside, I must say that Dan Jones was very meticulous in the studies and
research he did in order to complete this book. The benefit of getting this
book is that you get direct access to that expansive research for just the
cost listed on the cover. I would recommend this to anyone, if for no other
reason than the fact that it properly documents and supports the primary
standards for technical communication that all of us technical communicators
hold dear.
I would say that every technical communicator should keep this book to
support arguments when pursuing better communication.

I've read "Technical Writing Style" by Dan Jones, and I would recommend it.
I've also heard that Carolyn Rude's "Technical Editing" is excellent (I plan
to buy it soon). Good luck.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge with a technical writer from
Germany.
Andreas Ternes

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=