Re: Telecommuting Myth and Ignorant Remarks

Subject: Re: Telecommuting Myth and Ignorant Remarks
From: "Steven J. Owens" <puff -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 08:06:08 -0700

Barry Kieffer writes:
> Chuck Petch writes:
> > It doesn't take 40 hours per week together to
> > make a great team.
>
> And Barry (wearing flame proof undies) adds:
>
> True Chuck! It takes 60 to 80 hours per week!
> See ya on the other side of midnight!
>
> -Barry (throwing another log on the fire)

This general attitude (not that I'm faulting Barry specifically,
but his post makes for a good segue) in the programming world is
sometimes referred to as "macho programming", the idea that it's
hours, not quality, that counts. I highly recommend Yourdon's
_Deathmarch_ as a book about how to survive inadequately planned,
improperly managed, poorly staffed and ludicrously scheduled projects.

In general, as I've posted many times before, I think every tech
writer (particularly those in the software industry, but not just
them) should read up as much as possible on the topic of software
project management. There's a lot in common between tech writing
projects and software projects.

For those working on documenting software projects, there's the
added bonus of better understanding the process and an enhanced
camaraderie with the programmers (and maybe even the chance to improve
the way they do things).

Suggested sources:

Frederick Brook's _The Mythical Man Month_
Steve McConnell's _Code Complete_ & _Rapid Development_
Ed Yourdon's _Deathmarch_
SEI research work (specific key phrase: Capability Maturity Model, aka CMM)
CACM (Communications of The ACM (Association for Coe)mputing Machines)
IEEE Software and related publications

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=