Re: 'in queue' v. 'in the queue'

Subject: Re: 'in queue' v. 'in the queue'
From: Jo Baer <jbaer -at- MAILBOX1 -dot- TCFBANK -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 11:48:05 -0500

According to "Wired Style - Principles of English Usage in the Digital
Age" (not the most commonly used style guide, I know), the definition of
queue is "The designated area in which data enters a computer, is
sequenced, and dispatched." Applying that definition to your example,
"in the queue" seems to be preferable. This is how it has been used in
our data processing area ever since I can remember. And on good days, I
can remember quite a ways back!

> So, our question is, what seems to be the preferred usage: 'in queue'
> or 'in the queue'?
> Example: 'The call list box in the bottom half of the window allows you
> to view either live calls or customers in queue for callbacks.'

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=