Re: documentation planning

Subject: Re: documentation planning
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 09:47:45 -0400

Hallo:

Good point. A thousand pages would be as big as they get, for me. Certainly,
if you have only 25 customers and your books are 15,000 pages, re-issuing an
entire book is something not to be considered lightly.

In my defence, my post did include more than a passing reference to planning
and costs:

"That means planning your print runs is essential to prevent undue overage.
This also means a certain amount of planning--and restraint--in introducing
new features into incremental releases of the product because introducing
significant features into incremental releases of a product will result in
time and printing costs for a new book *plus* the cost of throwing away any
obsolete old books."

I do absolutely agree that there are different needs to be considered for
different circumstances and different audiences in different businesses.
However, I responded to the issue based on my experiences and expect that
readers thoughtfully consider my post and apply those things they can use
and discard the rest.

All the best,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com