DOCUMENTATION PLANNING

Subject: DOCUMENTATION PLANNING
From: Anna Langley <anna -dot- langley -at- IBERTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 12:08:55 -0500

Dear Tech Writers:

The documentation team at my company has a question: What is your
method for providing documentation updates to end users between manual
revisions/releases?

Here's our current method:

1. We write document updates, which are small documents that
describe enhancements to our software.
2. We give these updates to end users as PDF files on the same CD
as the software update.
3. When we have a major release of the software, we update our
manuals and release them.
4. We continue creating document updates between manual releases.

We're looking at creating small books containing all document
updates. We have a small format for our manuals, and they are wire-bound.
This is the reason we're having difficulty with document updates: Do we
give our end users additional books with updates, or do we completely revise
our manuals each time we create document updates? Since the books are
wire-bound, we can't do replacement pages.

We'd like to know what you are doing or have done to manage your
'between-release' documentation. Thanks very much for your help.

Sincerely,
Anna Langley
Documentation Analyst
Ibertech, Inc.