Re: The telecommuting myth

Subject: Re: The telecommuting myth
From: Kathleen Padova <kpadova -at- MALVERNSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 14:06:55 -0400

I am able to telecommute for my current job; however it was not
advertised as such. In fact, I hardly ever see ads (in the paper) list
telecommuting as an option.

Once I decided that this position was acceptable to me and we began
negotiations, I threw in the possibility of telecommuting. That's when I
found out that a good portion of the company telecommutes and they have
the support for it (equipment, MIS support). They gave me a larger
monitor to take home and would have given me a PC; but I wanted to use
mine.

For the first 3-4 months on the job I was in the office every day until
I felt I had the hang of things and understood "how things got done".
Now I work from home 2-3 days a week. I am flexible about which days
depending on meetings and the current crisis. During crunch time I will
be in more frequently because of spontaneous meetings and decisions that
affect my work. I have also earned the reputation of meeting my
deadlines so there is no question of my telecommuting.

However, this week you will find me in the office every day because my
apartment air conditioner broke over the weekend and along with the rest
of the east coast, Philadelphia is pretty hot and humid. I will probably
also be working longer hours :)

Another benefit to working onsite. :)

Regards,

Kathleen J. Padova
Information Developer Phone: 610/296-9642 x694
Malvern Systems, Inc. Fax: 610/889-2254
http://www.malvernsys.com mailto:kpadova -at- malvernsys -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=