Re: Reprinting a manual before new software version

Subject: Re: Reprinting a manual before new software version
From: Chuck <writer -at- BEST -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 14:31:57 -0700

4. do something else entirely.

But before I make that decision final, there's a point missing: has the
software itself changed? If so, why the @#!&%! is your product team
making and releasing changes without incrementing something in the
release number, whether it be X.1, X.01, X.0a, or something to
differentiate, depending on the magnitude of the change? That's what the
point upgrade system is designed for: to show changes that do not
warrant major release number increases. (Note: marketing people *really*
abuse this system, and Microsoft is a leader in this misleading
practice.)

You really *have* to have that differentiation, especially for customer
support. If your company has slightly different versions out there, each
one with only "X.0," and someone calls with a problem, how will a tech
support person *know* what version the problem lies in? And how will the
developers be able to track how the problem was introduced so it can be
fixed?

Most of the time these days, major versions are scheduled so rapidly
that single point versions don't appear as marketing versions (the X.1),
but rather bug fixes are slipstreamed in as X.01, X.0.1, or whatever.
Feature changes are held off utnil the next major release because it's
not that far in the future.

For the smaller point releases, just make the changes, not the version
on the inside title page and the copyright page (but not the outside
cover), and slimstream the manuals with the newer software. If there are
no changes to the way the software works, hold off until the next major
revision to provide a manual update and just re-use what was originally
shipped. Then provide a small addendum for any critical issue.

--
"[Programmers] cannot successfully be asked to design for users
because...inevitably, they will make judgments based on the

Chuck Martin
writer"at"best.com www.writeforyou.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=