Re: Word Question: Font Spacing/Numbering

Subject: Re: Word Question: Font Spacing/Numbering
From: Jeroen Hendrix <jhe -at- POLYDOC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 10:19:47 +0200

Ginna

I had the exact same problem for months. The problem appeared only in print
or PDF and after a long period of trial and error I think I found the
source: It has to do with the automatic numbering definition of the
headings.

Select the proper heading and open the Modify style dialog box. Select
Format Numbering. Choose the proper outline numbered style and click the
button Customize. In the dialog box click the button More to expand the
dialog box. In the bottom half, you'll see the dropdown list Follow number
with. Here (in my experience) is the source of this problem. If you have
selected a space here, the spacing in print is unpredictable. Select Tab
character instead.

Since I have selected the Tab character, the problem never reoccurred,
strange but true.

HTH

Jeroen Hendrix
PolyDoc
the Netherlands

Mail to: jhe -at- polydoc -dot- com
Web : www.polydoc.com

Hi all - I have a Word-specific question I'm hoping one of you experts
can help me with.

I have Word 97 template which uses a custom numbering sequence for the
appendixes (Outline Numbering>Custom). For example, style A1 numbers
sections as A.1, A.2, B.2, style A2 = A.1.3, B.2.4 etc.

All of this works very well except for one recurring problem - the
typeface spacing is completely wild on *some* headings which use this
complex numbering. It never occurs in the main body of the document,
where I use Heading 1, 2 etc. (same typeface and sizing conventions).

I'm using basic Arial for all headings, outline numbered and custom
numbered. On screen and in print preview everything looks fine. When I
print (to any printer - I've tried several, both PCL and PS) the text
looks approximately like this:
A.1 Calibrated Test Equipmen t
or
A.2.3 Input Acquisition and Outp ut Si gnals

This phenomenon does not occur in every heading. But it is
consistent - the same headings are wonky every time. It's not letter
pairs either - "signals" is spaced out in one heading, but fine in
another. I have changed the font to several things (all True Type, PS is
not an
option) and the same problem occurs. I've tried deleting the headings
and retyping, cutting and pasting, checked the numbering, anything I can
think of.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

--
Ginna Dowler - Technical Writer